How you should really be cleaning your makeup brushes
Serious question: when was the last time you cleaned your makeup brushes? Anyone? If you're like me, you're probably cringing right now as you rack your brain for any memory of cleaning those brushes. Wait, they need to be cleaned? Well, don't worry. You're not alone. According to Winq, a social polling app for millennials, at the time of this writing 83% of those polled have gone over a week without cleaning their makeup brushes, while the other 17% clean them at least once a week.
So what does that other 17 percent know that we don't? Turns out clean makeup brushes are actually pretty important, both for your health and for your wallet. "The longevity and performance of your makeup brushes is determined by how well you take care of them," Alejandro Falcon, artistic director for Osmosis Colour Mineral Cosmetics, told me. "Keeping them sanitized regularly is key. Regular sanitation will keep your makeup brushes soft and free of unwanted build up, bacteria, and gunk. Clean brushes have a higher product pick-up rate than those saturated with leftover product, even if the brushes do not appear dirty. Particles can be trapped between the hairs."
Ready to join the smart ones cleaning their brushes? Here are a few cleaning tips to get you started.