Why You Should Eat This Fruit For Glowing Skin

You may have heard that various foods — like avocado or seeds — offer healthy fats that help support your skin health. Indeed, on top of caring for your skin topically, your diet also plays an important role in its appearance. Of course, eating all of the right foods and drinking gallons of water won't always leave you with a flawless complexion. But, a certain melon can help!

According to Mindbodygreen, dermatologists love watermelon for that reason — it helps keep your skin supple from the inside out. Indeed, a slice of watermelon contains 92% water per serving size, making it a powerful source of hydration. However, the other 8% of this fruit is also incredibly powerful for skin health. Watermelon contains antioxidants such as Vitamin A and Vitamin C. "Your skin actually requires vitamin C in order to synthesize collagen," Whitney Bowe, MD, notes. In order to fully utilize those collagen supplements you're taking, you'll need enough of this nutrient.

Watermelon's Vitamin A content acts as a powerful antioxidant that helps your skin recover from daily stressors while protecting it from future pollutants. "Retinoid, retinols — those are [also] vitamin A derivatives that help with skin cell turnover, so those are very healthy for the skin," Dr. Bowe shares with the outlet.

With tons of hydration and antioxidants, watermelon might be your latest skincare staple that comes from your fridge.

Watermelon helps reduce inflammation

Even watermelon seeds can help enhance your skin's appearance. Insider reports that watermelon seeds spur collagen production while reducing inflammation. Collagen is responsible for keeping the skin looking healthy and supple; with more of this in your body, your skin will show the difference. Plus, watermelon seeds contain ceramides that lock moisture into your cells for a more youthful, dewy appearance. Dermatologist Harold Lancer, explained to the outlet, "Watermelon seeds contain protein just like other seeds. They also have fatty acids, plumping linoleic acid, hydrating oleic acid, and a variety of ceramides."

No matter what type of skin you have, watermelon offers a soothing antidote to most common ailments as well. Gentle enough to hydrate and support sensitive skin, watermelon extract can soothe red spots, mitigate breakouts and even soothe inflammation-related conditions like eczema or psoriasis. "Whether you have oily, acne-prone, sensitive, or anti-aging skin, using a high-quality product containing watermelon is universally, across the board, a positive factor," Dr. Lancer explains.

Both Insider and Mindbodygreen also tout the benefits of eating the watermelon rind as well. Cooling and rejuvenating, the rind can blend well in your morning smoothie — giving you a tasty addition and a skin-soothing boost.